The Jewish Film Institute seeks interns with a passion in film, arts & culture, community building, and nonprofit arts management to assist in the responsibilities of its development and membership services. Positions are available immediately and applications are considered on a rolling basis.
LOCATION: San Francisco Bay Area, California
POSITION TIMEFRAME: Immediately | May – July/August, 2016 | 10-15 hours per week. This is an unpaid internship but we can offer units of academic credit.
The Jewish Film Institute is the premier curatorial voice for Jewish film and media and a leading arts and culture organization in the Bay Area. Built on the foundation of the world-renowned San Francisco Jewish Film Festival – the world’s first and largest Jewish film festival – the Jewish Film Institute catalyzes and inspires communities in San Francisco and around the world to expand their understanding of Jewish life and culture through film, media, and dialogue. In addition to its signature summer Festival, the Jewish Film Institute presents year-round live events in the San Francisco Bay Area and a host of online content initiatives, including JFI On Demand, the pay-per-view streaming service that makes a portion of films from its archive available to watch online.
The Development & Membership Intern supports the Development Department through research into relevant grant opportunities, writing introductory letters of inquiry, working with our database for appeals and events invitations, listings and outreach. The intern will also help the Development Manager coordinate data and logistics for fundraising activities including direct mail campaigns, special events and donor communications.
This is an ideal internship for a Film Production student, a student in Jewish Studies, Cinema Studies, or Cultural Studies, or a student interested in learning more about non-profit management. JFI will accommodate work and study schedules so there are assignments that can be fulfilled both offsite and in the JFI offices.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES (depending on interest, ability and scheduling)
Development Database and Donor Tracking:
- Help Development remain current with processing and acknowledging all gifts, including checks and credit card charges, gifts of stock, in-kind contributions and matching gifts.
- Maintain and update the database.
- Help identify new funding sources through grants research, written correspondence with Foundations and potential sponsors; writing letters of inquiry and outreach calls for support as needed.
- Work with Development Department to manage and track donor benefits fulfillment; respond in a timely fashion to member inquiries via telephone, e-mail, and written correspondence.
- Work with Festival box office company to fulfull member benefits.
Festival and Special Events:
- Help coordinate lists from Development Department for special events.
- Assist with the planning and coordination of special events, including invitations, guest lists, on-site logistics related to event registration and specific Festival benefits management as needed.
- Other duties as required.
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Detail oriented and accurate.
- Have the ability to work independently.
- Multi-task and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Handle confidential information with discretion.
- Work effectively with staff, volunteers, donors and the public.
- Experience with Donor Perfect and Microsoft Office Suite is essential, Photoshop, inDesign or other graphic design program a plus.
TO APPLY: Email cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to:
Jewish Film Institute
145 9th Street, Suite 200
San Francisco, CA 94103
No phone calls, please.