JFI is seeking an experienced and creative Communications Manager to partner with our Executive Director, Board of Directors, and management team to raise our national visibility, promote our programs, and ensure the health of the JFI brand.
The Jewish Film Institute (JFI) is the premier curatorial voice for Jewish film and media and a leading arts and culture organization in the Bay Area. As the presenter of the world-renowned San Francisco Jewish Film Festival (SFJFF) - the world's first and largest Jewish film festival - JFI catalyzes and inspires communities in San Francisco and around the world to expand their understanding of Jewish life and culture through film, media, and dialogue. In addition to its signature summer Festival, the Jewish Film Institute presents year-round live events in the San Francisco Bay Area and a host of online content initiatives, including: JFI On Demand, a curated streaming service of films from the organization's 38-year archive and free Monthly Online Shorts that have garnered over 2 million views worldwide to date. In addition to its exhibition services, JFI also supports filmmakers working with Jewish themes through its yearlong Filmmaker Residency program, Jerusalem Film Workshop and Festival Awards.
The Marketing & Communications Manager manages the external communications, branding needs, and marketing campaigns for the Jewish Film Institute and San Francisco Jewish Film Festival. Working with the Executive Director, staff and board, she/he leads JFI's communications, media relations, and audience engagement initiatives to build JFI's brand and achieve success in its quantitative and qualitative priorities. The Marketing and Communications Manager also manages and updates all JFI collateral, both print and digital, including the Institute's website.
The successful candidate will be: an experienced author of digital and print media, including social; familiar with both paid and organic methods of digital marketing; comfortable interacting with key stakeholders and members of the media; familiar with executing public relations campaigns; knowledgeable about building audience engagement through community outreach; and have excellent verbal and written communications skills. The successful candidate will also be a self-motivated, collaboration-hungry creative thinker with an instinct for building brand awareness who is able to manage internal and external relationships, including interns, seasonal staff and third party vendors.
Audience Engagement/Community Outreach
- Strategize and implement multichannel campaigns that reach desired demographic considering target audience objectives for all JFI events and initiatives including strategic partnerships and promotional trades with community organizations
- Act as an ambassador for JFI at industry and community events
- Conduct audience surveys following large-scale events and share results
- Coordinate with Development Department in identifying, securing, and managing sponsorships
- Manage JFI's website, including sub-sites for WinterFest, the San Francisco Jewish Film Festival and JFI On Demand, and blog
- Understand and implement social media best practices to grow followers, increase engagement and integrate JFI's social audience with its live audience
- Use analytics for reporting to provide continuous improvement of social media and website efforts
- Manage relationship with CMS provider and negotiate work orders and budgets for future updates and/or site fixes
- Create and manage email contact lists, bi-weekly eBlasts and communications calendars for key events such as annual San Francisco Jewish Film Festival and WinterFest
Media Relations and Advertising
- Manage development and production of SFJFF's annual program guide
- Develop all year-round print collateral, including efforts for JFI WinterFest, JFI Next Wave, JFI On Demand
- Liaison with JFI's third-party publicists for all media requests, and project manage the creation of press kits, press materials and additional collateral
- Coordinate film festival program guide distribution and other marketing assets as needed with third-party vendors, media publication inserts, and 150 community partners
- Negotiate and cultivate media partnerships for film festival advertising support in exchange for sponsorship recognition.
- Work with the ED, staff and board to develop communications practices and materials that are mission-aligned and reflective of JFI's strategic plan
- Contract photographers for JFI and SFJFF events - manage photography budget and create call sheets and shot lists for all necessary events
- Develop advance schedules, budgets, short and long-term plans and evaluations of the marketing & communications program
- Ensure brand integrity across all platforms while developing and implementing organizational guidelines
- Serve as a member of JFI's senior management team and contribute to the overall strategic direction of the Institute
- Bachelor's Degree
- 3+ years of broad marketing & communications experience in the arts, Jewish, public relations or cultural nonprofit sectors
- Experience with managing website projects and organizing large numbers of digital assets
- Knowledge of best practices and current trends in arts marketing, social media and independent film industry
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Technology savvy with an ability to streamline internal workflows and productivity
- Ability to think creatively and externally on a variety of topics and tasks while working in a fast-paced, demanding environment while meeting deadlines
- Strong customer service and interpersonal skills
- Strong analytics skills and ability to think creatively about metrics-based marketing and reporting
- Comfortable working both independently and collaboratively
- Knowledge of Jewish culture, film and media, and local arts communities
- Graphic design experience in Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator
- Experience with paid digital marketing practices
- Familiarity with large-scale event and/or film festival operations and production
- Knowledge of streaming content industry and VOD platform engagement
JFI is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants for paid and volunteer positions, and employees seeking advancement, are considered on the basis of their qualifications, and without regard to race, color, national origin or ancestry, religion, age, sex, perceived gender, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, HIV status or medical condition, mental or physical disability, or any other characteristic made unlawful by federal, state or local laws.